Maintenance Helper PT
Company: Government jobs
Posted on: January 17, 2023
Under general supervision, performs the full range of routine work
in graffiti abatement, parks maintenance, and/or custodial duties
related to the care, routine maintenance, and cleaning of assigned
parks, buildings, and facilities; moves furniture and equipment to
set up for classes, activities, and functions; interacts with and
provides basic information and assistance to the public; and
performs related work as required.
Examples of Duties
When performing the custodial assignment:
- Performs various custodial duties, including sweeping, mopping,
vacuuming, dusting, and polishing to ensure that City buildings and
facilities provide the highest level of safety for public and staff
- Washes windows, mirrors, and walls.
- Dusts and polishes furniture, woodwork, fixtures, and
- Cleans and sanitizes restroom facilities and fixtures including
sinks, urinals, and toilets; replenishes supplies in
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, waxes, strips, and polishes floors;
vacuums and shampoos carpets.
- Cleans furniture and counter tops.
- Empties, cleans, and sanitizes waste receptacles.
- Sets up rooms and equipment for classes, parties, conferences,
meetings, and other functions; moves and arranges furniture.
- Identifies and reports building maintenance needs to
- Closes windows, turns off lights, and locks doors to secure
- Assists maintenance workers with various asphalt, cement,
painting, landscaping, and irrigation repairs.When performing the
- Performs various general maintenance and custodial duties,
including inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining parks and park
facilities to ensure that City facilities provide the highest level
of safety for public and City use.
- Picks up and removes debris from parks; maintains landscape
areas throughout the City.
- Opens parks and restrooms daily; picks up trash and empties
- Rakes leaves and clears debris from walkways, fields, and other
- Cleans and maintains restrooms; stocks restrooms with necessary
supplies; reports necessary repairs.When performing the graffiti
- Responds to requests for graffiti removal from citizens and/or
- Patrols assigned areas for graffiti; investigates and resolves
complaints regarding graffiti; contacts proper people to advise
them of status of complaint.
- Removes graffiti by washing, water blasting, painting, or other
methods, including using graffiti removal chemicals.
- Photographs the scene of graffiti and documents the
- Operates power washer, airless paint sprayer, and paint
trucks.When performing both assignments:
- Interfaces with the public in a non-disruptive manner; answers
questions and provides standard information to the public if
working in a public facility.
- Observes safe working practices, including maintaining storage
areas in a safe condition.
- Maintains records of maintenance and cleaning activities;
maintains inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Assists groups using facilities as requested; may explain or
enforce facility rules.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Typical Qualifications
- Modern practices, techniques, and materials used in graffiti
- Methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work and
basic and preventative building maintenance.
- Proper cleaning methods and the safe usage of cleaning
materials, disinfectants, custodial tools, and equipment.
- Use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment
used in custodial work.
- Basic facility maintenance techniques and materials.
- Occupational hazards and safety equipment and practices related
to the work, including the handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes,
ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of
- Basic mathematics.
- Safe driving rules and practices.
- Basic computer software related to work.
- English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by
effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and City
- Operate a variety of tools and equipment used in graffiti
- Use and operate a variety of custodial equipment, including
high-pressure washer, vacuum cleaner, wet/dry vacuum, carpet
extractor, buffer, mop, and broom.
- Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment.
- Travel to different sites and locations.
- Use a variety of small hand tools.
- Maintain basic records.
- Follow department policies and procedures related to assigned
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the
telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within
general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.Education
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the
required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical
way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Some experience with
custodial work and/or graffiti removal is desirable.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California
Driver's License by time of appointment. Supplemental
Must possess mobility to work in various City buildings and
facilities; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform medium
physical work and to operate varied hand and power tools and
related equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer
screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over
the telephone or radio. Finger dexterity is needed to access,
enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator
and to operate above-mentioned tools and equipment. Positions in
this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, and climb to perform
work and inspect work sites. Employees must possess the ability to
lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 50
Employees work in the field and in buildings and facilities and are
occasionally exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot
temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards,
vibration, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or
electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes.
Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private
representatives and contractors in interpreting and enforcing
departmental policies and procedures.
May be required to be on-call and to work various shifts or
emergencies on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
This recruitment is open on a continuous bases and can close
without prior notice, interested candidates are encouraged to
RETIREMENT: Part-Time Employees participate in the Public Agency
Retirement Services (PARS) in lieu of Social Security. Employees
contribute 6.0% of their salary toward the plan and the City
contributes 1.5% of salary as well.
SICK LEAVE: Part-Time Employees are entitled to Paid Sick Leave in
accordance with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
"Healthy Workplaces/Healthy Families Act of 2014 Paid Sick
01 Do you possess or will obtain a current / valid California Class
"C" Driver's License by the time of appointment?
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Westminster , Maintenance Helper PT, Professions , Westminster, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!