Electrical Systems Engineer
Company: CSI Electrical Contractors
Posted on: September 21, 2022
About the Role: The Electrical Systems Engineer will be
responsible for the electrical system level design and analysis of
solar & BESS energy facilities, substation interconnect facilities,
along with review and revision of commercial and utility plan sets
for photovoltaic (PV) and Battery Storage (BESS) system
installations and site survey sketches. Plan sets include
electrical layouts, one-lines, BOMs, schematics, structural
details, material take-offs, and equipment specifications. Systems
include auxiliary power, backup power, fire protection, security,
lighting, and communication. They will work closely with customers
and other engineering and design team members and contractors to
coordinate the overall design packages and requirements and help
transition the designs to the field where they will ensure the
successful construction and energization of the project.Company
OverviewFounded in 1990, CSI has emerged as a leader in highly
technical and innovative electrical design and construction. We are
a full-service firm with the resources and expertise to handle any
commercial, industrial, or one-of-a-kind challenge. We are a
trusted contractor to diverse industries, such as aerospace,
biotech/pharmaceutical, education, healthcare, entertainment,
hospitality, manufacturing, and retail, to name a few. Our services
also include energy solutions and have earned a reputation as a
premier provider of energy development, installation, and
maintenance. In July 2019, CSI proudly joined the MYR Group family
expanding our commercial and industrial reach. Were proud to
celebrate 31 years of commitment to do all things with excellence
for our customers, ourselves, and our craft. We Build
- Technical responsibility for organizing, reviewing,
interpreting, researching, executing, coordination, and commenting
on project pursuit and design packages by working closely with
other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall
- Is responsible for all aspects of the design including AC/DC
one-lines, layout drawings, plan & profile drawings, schematics,
design verification, equipment/material & construction
specifications, and all associated electrical studies.The analysis
of solar & BESS energy projects involves working across a range of
- System level electrical (AC & DC) & communication layout
- Electrical design understanding of power and distribution
systems (low, medium and High voltage), emergency/standby generator
and UPS Systems, grounding systems (electrical, equipment, safety
and isolated), engineering calculations (voltage drop, fault
current, load calcs, full or series rating, etc.), electrical code
compliance (NEC, ANSI/IEEE, city codes, California codes,
- Design development & optimization, field construction and
installation means & methods
- Developing/contributing detailed design concepts for
substation, solar and BESS system design
- Provide long term detailed design, optimization, and
- Develop, update and use electrical engineering calculation
tools to size equipment and material based on project
- Independent engineering report writing, evaluation
- Plant and substation design reviews
- Reviews of commercial agreements including Power Purchase
Agreement (PPA), Interconnection Agreements, Service Contracts,
Facility StudiesThis includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Work alongside the Business Development, Estimating, and
Engineering teams to create preliminary site layouts and single
line drawings (DC and AC) for project proposals.
- Provides engineering support for proposals, estimating,
procurement and construction.
- Provides technical support to personnel/cross functional teams
supporting the assigned project by performing advanced level
engineering tasks, calculations, data analysis, and studies as
needed to develop preliminary detailed scopes of work on large and
- Assess the electrical technology and expected use case of the
proposed projects to optimize the system design with the optimal
technology, material, augmentation, and asset mix
- Estimation of plant losses and calculation of assessment
- Assist with design and optimization of Substation, BESS and
Solar systems to meet project requirements, minimize cost and
- Convey results and findings by means of discussions,
graphic-based presentations, and project documentation.
- Demonstrate familiarity with various equipment (cable,
panelboards, transformers, etc.) used for proper design and
installation of renewable energy projects.
- Understand manufacturers installation guidelines by creating
site plans and single line drawings.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings on major equipment
- Conducts project detailed design and QA/QC reviews for
completeness and accuracy of internal and external design documents
that align with our customer requirements and CSIs best practice
- Perform site visits as needed to verify that construction is in
agreement with engineering design drawings, including preparatory
meetings, and QA/QC.
- Prioritize, multitask, and follow through on assigned tasks and
projects with minimal supervision.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the
assigned projects and/or tasks are consistent with engineering best
practices and policies.Other Duties:
- Works independently with direction from Director of EPC
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, Project
Managers, Directors and Operations personnel to successfully
deliver design projects.
- Create and update database of design records and equipment for
- Attend mandatory training sessions on new products,
installation methodology, and safety.
- Initiates and maintains contacts with key engineers in other
companies, suppliers and industry associations to maintain their
technical expertise About You: Qualifications
- Preferred graduate of four-year college or university with
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or related
Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school
of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the
Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a
professional engineering curriculum.
- Possess a minimum of 5 to 10 years of related work experience
(Can be a combination of trade & relevant work experience).
- Competency with electrical system sizing at all levels,
experience with Utility and/or Commercial scale renewable EPC
projects, independent engineering and nuances of design, and
analysis of operational project data and performance.
- Experience in utility-scale solar/PV projects, highly
- Advanced understanding of discipline specific technical
designs, engineering principles, business standards, practices,
procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Experienced in the practice of researching engineering and
design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound
recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Ability to apply engineering theories and principles to review
and evaluate electrical/communication drawings to determine if the
design meets the contractual requirements, construction best
practices and budget.
- Has a firm understanding of the principles of Project
Management and Physical Electrical substation design.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of products, AutoCAD 2D, Blue
Beam, CymCap, and other web-based software applications.
- Proactive attitude, showing initiative and the ability to work
independently as well as with a team.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and follow through on
assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both written
- Ability to work in a fast-moving environment while maintaining
a positive attitude in stressful situations and adapt to changing
- Positive attitude, showing customer focus and the initiative
and ability to work independentlyPhysical Demands
- Frequently works outdoors on uneven surfaces.
- May be required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- May be required to stoop, bend, and crouch.
- Ability to travel up to 30%Work Environment
- Works in a climate-controlled environment at least 50% of the
- When in the field, may work in varying weather conditions: hot,
cold, and wet conditions.
- When in the field, will work in areas with large industrial
equipment subject to high noise levels.
- May occasionally work in areas with hazardous chemicals.
- This position will require both office and field time with the
ability to work remotely What We Offer: Benefits
- Amazing Company Culture - We have a culture of trust, teamwork,
performance, and commitment that drives our success.
- Competitive Salaries - We pride ourselves in offering above
industry average salaries based on talent and experience.
- 401K Matching & Profit Sharing - We believe good work should be
rewarded and provide 401k matching and profit sharing.
- Awesome Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance - We provide a wide
variety of insurance options to meet you and your familys needs.Our
- We strive to do the right thing always. We are committed to
being honest and trustworthy and we always deliver on our
- We have a deep respect for our customers, each other, and our
families. We treat every project as our own and are driven to
provide the best customer experience and final product.
- We believe that building better includes making intentional
investments in our people and communities. Because of this, CSI
gives back a percentage of our profits to local and national
charities that are near and dear to our hearts.Position may be
subject to pre-employment screening, which may include background
check and drug testing. Accessibility: If you need an accommodation
as part of the employment process, contact our Employment Hotline
at1-855-635-1321.MYR Group, Inc. and our subsidiaries are proud to
be Equal Opportunity Employers. We promote diversity of thought,
culture, and background, which connects our family of brands. We
are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and
respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are
merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin,
military service status, or other protected characteristics. We
celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive
environment for all employees.MYR Group does not sponsor applicants
for work visas. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in
the United States for any employer.MYR Group, Inc. and our
subsidiaries do not work with any third-party recruiters or
agencies without a valid signed agreement and partnership with the
Corporate Talent Acquisition Team. Appcast: #applow
Keywords: CSI Electrical Contractors, Westminster , Electrical Systems Engineer, Professions , Westminster, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!